Friday, June 2

World Cup 2006 (how the Falklands were won and were it got us)

The time draws nearer, Soon it will all be done and dusted and the cup will be lifted and we will have a new name on the trophy.
It won’t be Brazil… Even though they have The great Ronaldinio.

The first game kicks off on 9th of June.
Germany v Costa Rica
Venue - Munich, 1700 .G.M.T.

I think Germany will win, If I were to predict the score, at a push I’d say 4 -1.
Of course that is just random and who is to say Costa Rica won’t manage a surprise result, after all Germany are playing in front of a nation with great expectations. There will be pressure.

We will see.

Anyway, Moving on…
I am English and want to see Theo Walcott shine (up the gunners) and Ashley Cole too of course, and lets not forget the best defender England will have at the world cup this year “super Sol” Campbell.
Sol will show the world what he is made of (strong stuff).
After all his private issues and personal trials he is a man reborn (mark my words).

The one reservation I have is, that certain small percentage of England supporters, the ones that think England have some divine right to walk away with the trophy.
This is not football. It is bullshit.


I have been thinking about Maradona and “that goal” (you know, the “hand of God”).
I think that If you look at the politics involved.

I.e. Argentina Invading the Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas) perhaps because they wanted to govern them. It makes sense that they probably have a good claim too, as Argentina is the closest country to them and England is far, far away.

I don’t think the English would be too happy if the Argentines decided to Invade the Isle Of White (like that’d happen).


The British empire is dissolving (good) and not before time. If you are not allowed to steal a mars bar from a shop, how come the Empire was allowed to steal entire countries?
Hypocrisy, Absolute bloody minded nonsense…


So If you asked most people in England this question,

What would you prefer to have, The world cup or the Falkland islands?

What do you think they would say?

Would they say, “Oh, hmmm, I think I want my country to keep possession of some islands that I’ll never visit that are further away from England than Russia”

or

“What the hell do I want with a load of islands of the coast of Argentina, fuck that, I’ll have the world cup if you don’t mind”.

But that ain’t what happened, Thanks to Thatcher (Iron Maggie) the people got what she wanted. Not what they wanted (democracy?).


…………….
I can’t finish this article off as I have lost my train of thought,
The point I wanted to make was that the hand of God incident was the closest example of Two wrongs making a right I have ever seen (but the horror of war and the effect it has on ordinary, good peoples lives can never be quantified and understated).

But at least Maradona (the best footballer I have ever seen in my life, apart from Henry) with his Hand of God goal brought joy to a nation that had been wronged, bullied and cheated by the British Empire.


Justice was not done, but It sort of was…..

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

depends what the papers say...
Thats what its all about...

Trial by sun reader

Sunday, June 11, 2006 4:12:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home